Pass Something Already- The Paulson plan is not going to pass because house republicans hate it. That’ s fine, in fact most people agree with the republicans. The Paulson Bill is bloated and wasteful, but what is the alternative? My message to house republicans is this; you had better have an alternative bill that can pass. The democrats, every day this bill does not pass, are going to blame McCain and the GOP. McCain went to Washington to demonstrate he can work with both parties to get something done, so help him out a bit. One final thought on this topic for the house GOP, if you think this bill is outrageous and bloated, just wait until a President Obama is in office and he submits his first budget. What you are doing today will have a large impact on the election and I would humbly submit that maybe getting everything you want on this bill isn’t worth losing the election. Just think about it.
McCain Can’t Lose Face, But He Has To Debate- This is a very precarious day for McCain because he needs to accomplish two things; sticking to his word, but also attending the debate. According to Survey USA 74 percent of the American people want a debate tonight, he needs to debate tonight. A framework of a bailout bill has to be done today and hopefully done by early afternoon so McCain can justify attending the debate tonight. The House GOP has quite a bit of power today and I hope they use it wisely. If McCain shows up tonight and the bill isn’t finished he will look like a liar. On the flipside if he keeps to his word the democrats will accuse him of being a coward. Bottom line, that bill has got to get done today for McCain’s sake.
Debate Advice- I believe the debate ultimately will happen this evening and I think McCain has a big opportunity to take this election and start running away with it if he does the following:
- Pithy Answers- Let Obama sound like a gasbag, use the Saddleback Debate as a guide and keep it crisp.
- Control Temper- Be passionate but take it easy, don’t start glaring and getting fidgety in your chair.
- “My Friends”- This is a statement that just needs to die already, you sound very tense when you say it and it’s a verbal crutch you need to get over.
- Engage- Do not let him get away with anything, forget the moderators, they are not on your side anyways. If he lies about you or your record go after him, interrupt him if necessary.
- It’s The Democrats, Stupid- Whatever problems the moderator mentions, you take it and put a democratic stamp on it. Do not throw Bush under the bus this isn’t about him. Go after your real enemies for once and draw clear differences.